Not quite the Resident Evil 2 I remember, a remake that belittled the sequal
It has take me a while to finish this one, but not really. I started this a couple of weeks ago, and have been very on and off.
Once again, as a PS1 Resident Evil game I played the original to death. But back in the day, I never played the Claire story, cannot remember why now though. However, I have fond memories of it and still play it from time to time, still just the Leon story, still no idea why.
I did prefer the story of this to that of the original, and it was actually the first Resident Evil game I played.
Having recently finished the 2015 remake and liked the style of that remake, specifically the fact that it kept the main feel for the originals, while adding a few new elements and better graphics.
However, this remake does not fill me with the same nostalgia. While I am fine with the overall progression and story tweaks made to the game, the combat, and most of the assets just feel like a complete lift and shift from Resident Evil 7.
No, don't get me wrong, I love RE7. It will not be appearing on this list specifically because I have already completed it on every platform going, multiple times. Both traditionally and in VR on PS4 and PC, because why wouldn't you.
But the RE7 style does not belong in RE2. Mainly the combat, as with RE1 remake, it should have kept the directional aiming, not gone first person.
Enemies take far too much damage to kill (No I am not talking about Mr X), and having to aim before you can shoot just takes away from the run and gun feel of the originals, which was a large part of their charm.
Also, why does every female zombie in this game look and move like Mia in RE7? I have finally done the Claire story, as part of a B run, and I did quite enjoy the Sherry mini level, but as I suspected from the original, and had heard about at the time, there is not enough difference between the stories compared to Chris and Jill from the first game, which was a completely different flow.
Anyway, rant over. Time to move to the 1st Resident Evil game I never actually completed first time around, RE3: Nemesis. I think when this hit my library, back in the day, I got bored after the 3rd encounter with Nemesis and dropped the game for something else, probably something on the PS2. So, time to give it a proper go. However, I am concerned it will have the same issues as this, but I will give it a good old college try.
Comments
Post a Comment